Gum Recession Causes in Matthews, NC
Do You Have Gum Recession?
Receding gums can be the result of gum disease and several other factors, including:
- Genetic predisposition
- Tooth brushing technique
- Poor dental hygiene habits
- Crooked or misaligned teeth
- Tobacco use
- Oral piercings
- Orthodontic treatment
*According to the American Academy of Periodontology https://www.perio.org/consumer/cdc-study.htm
Causes of Receding Gums in Matthews, NC
When you notice your gums are starting to pull away from the tooth structure, you may be experiencing receding gums. Gum recession procedures can restore the gum line and improve your health overall. Since the gums recede very gradually, many people do not realize that their oral health is at risk.
Signs of Gum Recession
One of the first signs of gum recession is sensitive teeth. If you notice your teeth are very sensitive when you consume hot or cold foods or beverages, your root surfaces are likely exposed. If your teeth appear larger than normal or you feel a notch forming near the gum line, you may have receding gums.
Your gums can recede for several reasons, including:
- Periodontal diseaseThis is an active infection in the mouth that can destroy gum tissue and supporting bone, as well as cause gum recession.
- GeneticsStudies show that almost one-third of the population is at risk for developing gum disease, and therefore gum recession, because of genetics.
- Tooth brushing techniqueUsing the wrong brushing technique can wear down your gums.
- Poor dental hygieneIf you neglect to brush and floss regularly, you may develop gum disease which causes gum recession.
- Hormonal shiftsMajor changes in hormone levels, such as during pregnancy, can negatively affect the gum tissue and potentially lead to gum recession.
- Using tobacco productsSmoking and chewing tobacco can increase the risk of gum disease and gum recession.
- Bad habitsClenching or grinding your teeth, or chewing on hard objects, can place undue stress on the gums and often lead to recession.
- Body jewelryLip and tongue piercings can also irritate the gum tissue, causing it to wear down.
- Orthodontic treatmentShifting bone and teeth can make the gums recede in certain areas.
Who Can Get Gum Recession?
Preventing Gum Recession
Some ways to prevent gum recession include:
- Using the right tooth brushing technique
- Breaking habits of clenching or grinding the teeth
- Breaking habits that might irritate the gum tissue
- Getting treatment for a misaligned bite
- Wearing a nightguard while sleeping