Gum Recession Prevention in Matthews, NC
*According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.perio.org/consumer/cdc-study.htm
How to Prevent Receding Gums in Matthews, NC
If you are at risk for periodontal disease or you notice that your teeth are becoming very sensitive, you need to take steps to reduce your risk of developing receding gums. Gum recession is primarily caused by gum disease, but some people develop receding gums when they are using the wrong brushing technique or if they have bruxism. Any habits that irritate the gum tissue can wear them down and make the gums recede. However, there are some things you can do to prevent receding gums.
Ways to Prevent Gum Recession
If you are concerned about receding gums, Dr. Green can make a recommendation to treat this condition. Some of the ways to prevent gum recession include:
- Using the right tooth brushing technique. Many people are using the wrong type of toothbrush or the wrong technique, which often ends up wearing down the gums.
- Breaking habits of clenching and grinding the teeth. You may be clenching and grinding your teeth without realizing it and damaging your gums in the process
- Seeking treatment for misalignment. A misaligned bite or crooked teeth can cause damage to the gum tissue, in the form of gum recession.
- Breaking habits that irritate the gums. Chewing on hard objects or engaging in tobacco use can negatively impact the delicate gum tissues.
- Wearing a nightguard. You can help to avoid damage to your gums and teeth by wearing a nightguard.
Gum Recession Treatment Options
If you want to restore your oral health after gum disease or need treatment for gum recession, schedule an appointment with Dr. Kiya Green. Some of the most effective options for treating gum recession include: